Planet Earth; Our World

It is said that life as we know it is the love child of THE BIG BANG. Science believes it is the source of everything that exist now. The universe was once a ball of gas of tremendous density. This ball in time continued to expand, given the high pressure and temperature it had to deal with.

Now according to Free Encyclopedia, detailed measurements of the expansion rate of the universe place this moment at approximately 13.8 billion years ago, which is thus considered the age of the universe. After the initial expansion, the universe cooled sufficiently to allow the formation of subatomic particles, and later simple atoms. Giant clouds of these primordial elements later coalesced through gravity in halos of dark matter, eventually forming the stars and galaxies visible today.

These ancient elements that now flood your periodic table under the influence of the force of gravity assembled together to form the Sun and these planets that adorn the solar system. One planet got the Lion share and to be precise the best of the elements; PLANET EARTH as we named it

Why is Planet Earth Special?

Earth is the third planet from the Sun and the only one to harbor life. It is the densest planet in the Solar System and the largest of the four terrestrial planets. The terrestrial planets are the inner planets closest to the Sun, i.e. Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars. The terms “terrestrial planet” and “telluric planet” are derived from Latin words for Earth (Terra and Tellus), as these planets are, in terms of composition, “Earth-like”.

Amazing?

Yes! Of course. There are more debatable yet irrefutable reasons why our planet is unique

Now look at this

About 71% of Earth’s surface is covered with water, mostly by its oceans. The remaining 29% is land consisting of continents and islands that together have many lakes, rivers and other sources of water that contribute to the hydrosphere. The majority of Earth’s polar regions are covered in ice, including the Antarctic ice sheet and the sea ice of the Arctic ice pack. Earth’s interior remains active with a solid iron inner core, a liquid outer core that generates the Earth’s magnetic field, and a convecting mantle that drives plate tectonics.

Within the first billion years of Earth’s history, life appeared in the oceans and began to affect the Earth’s atmosphere and surface, leading to the proliferation of aerobic and anaerobic organisms. Some geological evidence indicates that life may have arisen as much as 4.1 billion years ago. Since then, the combination of Earth’s distance from the Sun, physical properties, and geological history have allowed life to evolve and thrive. In the history of the Earth, biodiversity has gone through long periods of expansion, occasionally punctuated by mass extinction events. Over 99% of all species that ever lived on Earth are extinct. Estimates of the number of species on Earth today vary widely; most species have not been described. Over 7.4 billion humans live on Earth and depend on its biosphere and minerals for their survival including MAN

More….

We are not different from these minerals we discover. Our bodies are even made of it. Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. Only about 0.85% is composed of another five elements: potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium. All 11 are necessary for life. The remaining elements are trace elements, of which more than a dozen are thought on the basis of good evidence to be necessary for life. All of the mass of the trace elements put together (less than 10 grams for a human body) do not add up to the body mass of magnesium, the least common of the 11 non-trace elements. These elements give life to earth

So……

If we are made of these elements, we are nothing without them. Destroy the source you destroy the whole system. Compare this to a subsistence farmer whose concern is feeding his family. Imagine taking this piece of land from him. You will only starve him to death and wipe his family out of existence. This will be our fate if this beautiful planet is destroyed

What should you do?

  1. Acknowledge this truth that you are naturally helpless without Earth
  2. Pick an Earth friendly role towards safeguarding her ecosystems
  3. Talk about the importance of stewardship
  4. Identify with the defenders of Earth in the campaign to protect the Earth

Author: Jenny

A freelance Journalist, and an advocate of peace

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s